Tutorial Feedback from Kathryn Ferguson

Started off the same with Liam, I briefly showed Kathryn my presentation. Yet as she’s a filmmaker, I was focusing more on my Dokuseri editing test and asking for her input more on the content type (long-form and snack).

This video is still a rough edit so there will be a lot of black and scattered footages. I haven’t fully subtitled it too.

Kathryn said that the editing looks nice and well recorded (kudos to my friends!)–she just emphasized the one thing Liam also pointed–to be more specific on what kind of footages that I need (down to the wide, medium, close-up angles) and ask the people to play around with it. As for some people, it’ll be confusing to be told to just record it freely. I have to put my concern more on that kind of people, as for the ones that I had asked, I believe in their ability to record themselves in their preferred way. But I think to make it more unique, it will be better for people to get direction and also creatively editing in post-production (layer the file with effects, adding ‘on the phone’ effect to their voices). She sent me an example from Ruth Hogben, a filmmaker, who made a small series for SKIMS (phone-call themed as well).

Moreover, it will be better for the next interviews (or I can ask the one that I interviewed again to record it themselves) to ask more indirect questions that are in-depth, philosophical, or getting the sense of emotion to make it more personal.

We also talked about the exhibition–how to showcase it without physical components. She gave me a reference to an exhibition titled Critical Zones made by ZKM Center of Art and Media. The exhibition is a digital exhibition that linked to a physical exhibition with the same name, dedicated to the critical situation and will continuously expand as they’re going to add more works and contributions.

I tried to experience it myself first. I think it’s really interesting! Each project has its own format that complimented the narrative really well. It’s like playing a survival room with different themes. And they make various communication methods so the experience is different for each topic.

The downside is the website is a bit hard to navigate. People who are used to different website experience and are really interested in the topic (or like me who want to experience this ‘digital exhibition’) might bear with it. But people who are not really into it will probably leave the website if they find it confusing. Especially if I want the exhibition to be accessible for middle to low-income people, who normally don’t engage with this kind of website (insights from my brother who developed a website, most people in Indonesia are not familiar with a more stylized website that are mostly foreign–in Indonesia website are made as easy as possible and have to use Bahasa as well). So if I’m going to make an exhibition like this, I have to make sure that the navigation is clear and easy.

There is also a problem with the ‘heaviness’ as shown in the video. It took a long time to load so I decided to see other works that are faster. And the guide seem confusing as well they changed every time I open the title page and I still don’t get how and why they do it (or is it because I don’t really understand the topics–since it’s science and all?). In addition, because they’re using Vimeo to house some of the videos, I can’t play it as Vimeo is banned in Indonesia (I have to use VPN) and for people who don’t understand how to use VPN or don’t know that Vimeo is banned will probably think that the website is not good.

On the mobile side, the experience is even worse for me as the transition is not as seamless and the navigation is more confusing. I think to make a different kind of contents is great but the platform is equally important to serve the satisfying consumer journey and get the message across.

Notes that I have before and after tutorial with Kathryn (her notes are on the left-inside page–very small. I do tend to scribble stuff and squeeze them in one page). The rest of them are notes from class (visual analysis–because I think this is important for my project), my interview with someone below 18 years old–I found that they have the same thinking process–is it because he’s 18 this year? Or do I have to do more interview with others below 18?, my conversation with a friend about organization/collective that are tackling sensitive issues, and the rest are just my random thoughts that I need to write down or else I might forget them.