Tutorial Feedback from Liam Gleeson

I did a tutorial with Liam today. I shared my screen and showed him the presentation I did to give him a glimpse of the project and the edited videos I tried for the first documentary series.

It’s really nice to hear positive feedback from another expert. He told me that the editing is nice and unique, I just have to add the GILIGILI branding in it to make it look connected with the whole brand. He also said that I might need to make a spec sheet (like a shot list) that describes in detail what the person has to record by themselves for their reference and reminder. That will help to make them understand and produce more satisfying footages. I also considered this before and Vicky also pointed it out. I think I’m confused right now because I haven’t transcripted any of the interview and the process was supposed to be interview –transcript – storyboard – collecting footages – post-production. While for me right now I’m doing interview and footage collection in parallel and skipped the transcript and storyboard process so I kind of losing my direction. So I decided that I have to transcript my interviews first (from the ones that sent me footages) and then build a more refined storyboard and build the content.

From this editing practice, I’m also thinking of dividing my contents into 2 types: long-form and snack content. The long-form will be the 2 fixed contents that I have, Dokuseri and Temuduga. They’re longer in duration, more in-depth, and won’t be released in a fast-paced schedule. While snack content will focus mainly on the social channel (in this case, Instagram) and aim to keep engagement with the audience and raise the awareness on the brand. Like for this Dokuseri I did, for example, the long-form content will be based on the storyboard and consists of many people. But the snack on the social channel will be a few cut or montage from people involved in the video.

From the enthusiasm I’ve seen while collecting the footages for my practice, I believe that a lot of people will be willing to collaborate and provide content for GILIGILI, so our role (especially during this pandemic–might change after) is compiling and processing it into a contextual piece of work. The snack content will act like below the line promotion in the hope of keeping brand activation within the community. Also from my research, people like to see content and inspo of styles so I’m thinking of making some challenges or something like ‘sisterhood of the travelling pants’–choosing one item and sending it to some people for them to style in with their own twist. Here are some contents that is said by my interviewees:

I’m thinking either doing it short from the get-go or cutting one long-form (like the Dokuseri) then posting it like teasers (1min – 1min30sec) so people will go to the Youtube channel or website to watch the whole piece.

Also, I had a bit talk with one of my friends and she reminded me though I want to protect the brand and everyone involved, I still have to make a stand or else it will be a bad publicity stunt. So she gave me some organization/collective that moves within sensitive topics like LGBT and feminism. I think I’ll have to observe and possibly interview the experts on how these people tackle the issues without having to offend anyone but still aware of the law in Indonesia.