Tutorial Feedback from Lynsey Fox

Today I had a really good tutorial with Lynsey and I showed her my presentation. She gave me important points to consider when building GILIGILI later:

1. User-generated content (UGC) like making filters or challenge on social media is really important–the impact is really good for the brand (take Vogue challenge as an example, it has 189K posts at the time this blog is posted). I agree with this as the purpose of my making UGC is to create awareness of the brand–at the very least people hooked and tried the filter first before they engage with other contents. I also want a concept/campaign to be across channels and can be applied to different things to get the most of it.

2. She said having ads on the website is a bit tricky as the brand could lose its uniqueness due to ad displays. So just make sure to do this without losing any space for what the website is about. –true, I will be more careful about it when this executed–how to make the ads as efficient yet in line with GILIGILI’s aesthetic and not taking too much space on our space. Also, she suggested using the video as revenue streams as well by monetizing it on Youtube–this is what I planned all along. So the videos on the website will also be embedded from Youtube to make it easier.

3. I have a concern about talking about sensitive issues in my country. It is better for GILIGILI to make community guideline or editorial mission–make it from the start and make sure to be really clear on where the brand position itself or the brand’s view on things. Make sure that everything that is in the brand’s channel is along with this guideline and take out anything that breaches it. Be careful and use the right tone when doing the contents as not to offend anyone. –this and also checking the law in Indonesia and observing different media/organization that also tackling the same sensitive issues will help.

4. Make sure the ‘irony’ concept of the exhibition is clear, as we want to present people with style but make sure not making them a laughing stock. I feel this is something obvious but really important. One of my interviewees had the same experience, she and her friends were photographed when they went to an event and it was uploaded to a local Instagram account that made memes. They were made into a joke and this is clearly degrading them. As a place that encourages people to freely express themselves, I will stand against this kind of treatment especially towards comments on social channels (if it’s too negative we have to remove or report it). And I think the idea of having people’s preferences and all in their interviews will help to prevent this.

A study case example from Lynsey. Ari Seth Cohen of Advanced Style takes picture of courageous older people with style to represent that they have the right to express themselves. But one of his photographs (in the picture above) is made into a meme and he got furious of it since his purpose of documenting those people are not to turn them into a meme for other people’s entertainment. I also agree with his statement, “…along with this need to express creativity came a lot of bullying, hurtful comments by others, fear for my safety, and a projection of other people’s fears and insecurities onto me.” The people that will be featured in GILIGILI are people who deserved to be celebrated and they need to feel safe. As this accident with Advanced Style is a possible accident for GILIGILI in the future, this emphasizes more on point number 3 (the importance of creating a brand and community guideline) so I can decide what further actions should be taken when it happens.

5. For the interviews, I’ll probably include some images or videos made by other people (like musician or movies that are my interviewees’ favourites), I have a concern on the copyright. For Instagram, it’s okay as long as I credited the person who has the copyright. But for the website, the right way is to get access to these materials from their media kit or take it from their websites. The easy way to get around this is to embed it from their social media directly (like Instagram and Twitter) but this has to be discussed further whether it’s aligned with the brand’s aesthetic or not. Another way to do it is to make the image into an illustration–but this also needs to be checked with Indonesian law–as each country is different. I have to remember that the owner of the images/videos are usually the photo/videographer so I need to remind myself to tag or get permission from the right person. –this is very important as I will have a lot of them on my website. I need to find an expert on this or learn it from hukumonline.com (a website made by law experts in Indonesia). I have to be really careful as not to get caught by anyone. So far, I found that the copyright I’ll be facing a lot (especially digital copyright) is under Copyright Act (Law No. 28 the year 2014). Similar to the UK, in Indonesia copyright is the exclusive right of the creator that arises automatically based on the declarative principle after work is realized in real form without reducing restrictions in accordance with statutory provisions so people won’t have to register for it. And this right is protected by law.

Copyright in Indonesia is divided into two (2) types: moral and commercial. Regarding moral rights, the protection will last for a lifetime, whilst commercial rights (or economic rights) is limited for a certain time, for example, a photography work is limited to fifty (50) years of protection since it published. People who are in the photograph/video have to give their consent both for personal and commercial purposes. Every individual has the right to prohibit the recording process and has the right to prohibit others from publishing content related to him/her/they. This is only a brief of the law, there are more than a hundred article in it, I downloaded the file from hukumonline.com now I just need to read it carefully later and see which article will be related to my project.

All these points are really good input for the development of GILIGILI. I feel reassured too that Lynsey was impressed by the presentation, she said that the idea is very thorough and I just need to refine it and be more careful on the risk assessment–I completely agree with the latter. Now I need to start to address the risk issues and also completing my learning plan.

References:

Advance Style https://www.instagram.com/p/CALd5P0JDOw/
Heriani, F. N. (2019) Awas! Upload Video ke Youtube Bisa Melanggar Hak Cipta. Available at: https://www.hukumonline.com/berita/baca/lt5dc95a5d9831e/awas-upload-video-ke-youtube-bisa-melanggar-hak-cipta/.
Hukum Online (2014) Undang-Undang Nomor 28 Tahun 2014. Available at:https://www.hukumonline.com/pusatdata/detail/lt5460681737444/undang-undang-nomor-28-tahun-2014#.
Pramudita, A. D. (2017) Hak Cipta Foto, Pelajaran Penting bagi para Pemasar Digital. Available at: https://id.techinasia.com/talk/hak-cipta-foto-bagi-pemasar-digital.
Qur’ani, H. (2019) Kenali Batasan Pelanggaran Hak Cipta dalam Karya Fotografi. Available at: https://www.hukumonline.com/berita/baca/lt5c6a2b9b3b506/kenali-batasan-pelanggaran-hak-cipta-dalam-karya-fotografi.