Fashion Media Lab – Cooking Idea 2

After my first three tutorials, I decided to halt my shoot to further research and prepare the idea. I tried to create a mind map to really search for a theory that could serve as a ground for my outcome. I tried to do mind map but still can’t find anything.

While doing the mind map, my mind went toward change and stress. But I think both are too broad. I decided to keep change as theme, but have not found any basis for the story yet.

And on the last tutorial with Vicky before the winter holiday, I got quite confused because I was asked where the fashion context is in the idea. I felt very discouraged. Should I ditch the idea again and thinking for a completely new idea? I panicked a lot. I thought of several ideas on how to portray what I’m really trying to say and portray in my film.

Notes on the last tutorial.
Story boards that I got that time

Then after a couple days of contemplating, I remember Ellie said to shift the environment from the physical environment to ‘clothes’ as an environment. So I think fashion as therapy is the right keyword for my initial research of the topic. When I searched related topic around fashion as therapy, I stumbled upon the term ‘enclothed cognition’, to put it simply: how your clothes affect you psychologically. It is a part of a bigger cognition theory, embodied cognition. The study said that our bodily experience actually influences our mind.

For me, this is an interesting topic–if you search on the internet, you will find a lot of people talking about clothes to wear to feel more confident or items that provide you support and help you cope with stress (not to forget that shopping is also considered as a therapy!). So although the study has still a lot to prove, I feel this is a good basis to experiment.

I’ll try to dig deeper into enclothed cognition and watch a lot of tutorials, reviews, and read books about angles, colour theory, and techniques to decide how the mise en scène would be.