DCS – Documentary Practice: Dressing Up during Pandemic 2

I received footages from 19 people! After reviewing them, I realised that are some points to reflect:

1. Some people still doing the video portrait instead of landscape format so I think I need to remind myself to remind the participants on the format of the video.
  2. If it’s possible, arrange a time and date to do the recordings together through video call so I can direct them directly and get the right footages.
  3. For some videos, I can’t hear their voices as they’re too far from the microphone or they turned their music on and it hindered their voices. So I need to remind them about this too and suggest them to use earphone when recording their voices.
  4. While doing the interview for audio, I need to hold myself not to respond as my voice is overlapping with the interviewee (and it obviously bigger than the interviewee’s voice as I’m recording it with my phone). Inform the interviewee beforehand too so they don’t feel like I’m being cold to them. Or I can ask them to record themselves as well so I have a clear audio recording (I tested it, with earphone and microphone the voice will be louder and thicker like there are 2 layers of them?? Otherwise with phone’s mic will result in thinner sound).

I tried to edit some of the footages but as I don’t have a storyboard and didn’t know what kind of footages I will get, this taken me back a bit. After consulting and reviewing again my interview with the participants, I am currently trying to create a story with their voice recordings first then add the imagery. The style that I’m gonna go with is Imogen Legrove‘s Call on Me (I can’t embed the video as Vimeo is banned in Indonesia). So this is like I’m calling my friends and asking what are they doing at home while dressing up during quarantine. I’ll do my best and stop for a while to do the website mockup. I don’t think I’ll be able to get it done by the time of presentation though.